Monday, November 12, 2007

South of the border

Having arrived in El Paso, Texas we just couldn't resist walking across the border to Juarez, Mexico. It was a bit odd to walk across the pedestrian bridge along with many Mexicans. We paid our 35 cents to cross into Mexico and for that miniscule amount we gave the street vendors permission to beckon to us at every store. I haven't said no that much since I've had a 2 year old at home! (always with a polite smile, I might add) We sauntered around trying to read Spanish and I even spoke a few words here and there: like margherita, gracias, de nada. We did order a margherita and I eyed my ice cubes suspiciously wondering what organism they harbored. We stopped for lunch and I noted that we were being sized up by a trio of musicians seated on a bench in the restaurant. They were dressed in white embroidered shirt, boots, cowboy hats and carried well-worn instruments. They were more than happy to serenade us with the song called Margherita for the mere price of a tip. On our return trip to the US we walked through the Homeland Security building and while waiting in line I mentioned to Matt: "at least I don't have any fruit in my bag for once." Wrong again! When Matt placed our hiking pack on the screener he was pulled aside by security. OK, so I'd forgotten about the two apples I'd stashed away for hiking. Why they could have saved our lives on the trails. Fortunately, the security guy smiled as he tossed the apples in the trash can. Remember the knives in my backpack in Boston, Bonnie? We didn't escape Mexico without purchasing a large, colorful platter. It'd been awhile since I'd heard the expression:"Almost free!" All kidding aside, it was sobering seeing the drastic difference in worlds separated only by a bridge. I'm ever aware of how fortunate I've been in life and am ever grateful for the special people in my life: family, friends and Sarah and Ben and our newest member, Ryan. Adios, Kare

Matt

Matt